Tuesday, July 29, 2014

July 28, 2014

July 28, 2014
It was a pretty good week here in Ohio. It sounds like everyone had a pretty good one back home. We had some good lessons work out this week, which was nice. We also met a man named M. who was referred to us by a member of another ward. M. has been in a lot of different churches, but really wants to feel the Spirit in his life. He has read the Book of Mormon before from a research standpoint, so when we first taught him, we challenged him to read it again from a spiritual standpoint. He has started to and he says he has felt the Spirit while reading it. He came to a ward activity this week and to church as well and seemed to like them. He has a couple of hurdles to cross, but I think he has some great potential to make progress. We had an interesting occurrence happen that made us late to one lesson. It involved Q. the priest, our car, and a raccoon. I'm not going to go into detail, but suffice it to say that we were only 5 minutes late and the raccoon has been relocated to a new home. The ward party that M. came to was Pioneer Day themed and it was pretty fun. It seems like most of the people we have been working with are making slow progress. I guess they will get to where they need to be in the Lord's time. We have met a couple times this week with A., so there is some potential there.
To answer Dad's questions as best I can:
1. We still find most of our investigators through knocking doors. sometimes we use the DVD player, but not as much lately. We have had some success with following up with people who we contacted before who weren't opposed to us stopping back by
2. I've been studying a few conference and devotional talks that have been helpful to my testimony lately. One I especially liked and that I felt applied to my life was one by Neal A. Maxwell on Patience
3. The food here isn't too different from home. When the members feed us it is usually pretty good.
4. The thing that surprises me most about people is probably how impolite they can be to us when we are perfectly civil to them. I know that sounds negative, but it is true. I have been pleasantly surprised by some people's reactions, though, so I suppose it balances out.
5. My biggest surprise about myself has been the ability to keep going even when I have to do hard things.

I hope you all have a blessed week!
Love,
Elder Schow

No comments:

Post a Comment